help w/ REDIRECT_PROXY

Anders Fugmann email hidden
Wed Feb 12 14:01:22 CET 2003

Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> Anders Fugmann spewed electrons into the ether that resembled:
>
>>Maybe squid is not setup to act as an transparent proxy?
>>Please check if the following is set in squid.conf:
>>     * httpd_accel_host virtual
>>     * httpd_accel_port 80
>>     * httpd_accel_with_proxy on
>>     * httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
>>

> no, those aren't turned on. I never needed them before.
No - but you need them now in order for squid to work in transparent
mode, which is what you want if you want to redirect all requests for
port 80 to the squid proxy.

> if I configure the
> browser to use the firewall (192.168.1.10:3128) as a proxy, everything works
> fine.
Of course, but this does not mean that squid is setup to work in
transparent mode.

If I turn on the above, I'll have to move apache to another port yes?
I do not think so. I cannot remember what the httpd_accel_port is for,
but squid still binds to port 3128 only. the http server can still run
on port 80 on the same machine.

> don't want that. I'm not using squid as an http accelerator, I'm using it
> purely as a proxy
You can always disable squid's cacheing. The above is needed in order to
set up squid as an transaprent proxy. Try do an google search on
"transparent proxy squid".

Regards
Anders Fugmann